Matshidiso Moeti, WHO Regional Director for Africaz, said this in a statement posted on the organisation’s website.
Coronavirus has been reported in four African countries.
Moeti said WHO was working with countries in the region to ensure that measures are taken to contain further spread of the virus.
“So far, Algeria, Egypt and Nigeria have reported cases. The case in Senegal was confirmed a day after Algeria reported two new cases on March 1.”
The official noted that the WHO is supporting countries in their efforts to increase their preparedness.
This includes ensuring early detection of vital signs and that control measures are in place and as robust as possible.
“WHO is working with our network of researchers and other experts to coordinate regional work on surveillance, epidemiology, modelling, diagnostics, clinical care and treatment, as well as other ways to identify, manage the disease and limit onward transmission.”
WHO has already issued interim guidance to countries, which is regularly updated, taking into account ongoing developments.
“Guidance has recently been issued on topics, including quarantine measures, citizen repatriations, and how to ensure that workplaces are prepared for COVID-19,’’ the director said.